Thursday, August 9, 2007

Valerie Fay Van Oort: August 21, 1951 - August 3, 2007



We are grieved that she is gone, but relieved that she is no longer suffering. First battle with breast cancer in 1998, the second in 2004. She fought it the last three years, hoping to be cured until the end. She waited to see her grown children one last time and then she left us. Martin, my husband, saw her at 11pm on Friday after flight delays and she passed at 11:59pm that night.

Martin, the kids, and I will be in Montana until the 20th. I think we are planning to get away for a bit after the last of the visiting relatives go back home. We'll dust off the camper and head up to Glacier National Park - if it's not on fire. Camping plans will be finalized soon. Knitting? I've started and ripped out the same sock three or four times in the past month. With all that's happened, knitting just isn't. I've just picked up the baby quilt Val was working on for Anne. My stitching is noticeably different from hers, one will see the work of two hands on it when it is completed.

3 comments:

Vicki Knitorious said...

I'm sorry to hear of you family's loss. I'm happy she was able to see all of her kids -- uncanny way that all works, and I do believe it's no accident.

I hope you have a good, restful time away. The knitting will be back when you're ready.

Suse said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Blessings to you and your family.

*carrie* said...

Melissa,

This will be very random. I compile alumni news for Valerie's alma mater, NWC. We received a few details from Daryl via the mail, but I googled her name this morning to see if I could find any more info (church or other memberships, etc.) Your blog was the first thing to pop up. As I am a fellow blogger, I thought I would leave a comment and see if you would be willing to e-mail me. I would have sent this message in an e-mail but could not locate an address on your blog. Thank you.