Monday, June 23, 2008

Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt for Adrian

Photobucket

Photobucket



These photos are from May (yes, I am so behind - let's call it a trend), and I actually sewed the binding on well before Adrian was born. Hurray for small accomplishments! I'll have better photos of the whole (and finished) quilt at some later date, life has just been too different, busy, and tiring lately to stop in here much. I have put all knitting aside for the next few months, or years, but organized the works-in-progress so I can pick right back up at any time without wondering what on earth I was doing with it or where I was at in the pattern.

In case I hadn't mentioned it, the quilt pattern was from a Better Homes and Gardens quilting leaflet, and while it's a variation on the disappearing nine patch block, it was not sewn or cut like one. I pieced the rows separately (no nine patch blocks to cut) because I wanted the most variety of fabrics - there are somewhere between 68 and 100 different kinds of fabric in there, mostly from my late mother in law's stash and maybe 20 or so from my own. The quilt top is hand pieced, the quilting also by hand but I put the binding on the top with the machine.

9 comments:

michelle said...

Wow. What a beautiful quilt. It looks like you spent a lot of time piecing the blocks separately. Very good choice of color for "sashings".

michelle

michelle said...

Wow. What a beautiful quilt. It looks like you spent a lot of time piecing the blocks separately. Very good choice of color for "sashings".

michelle

Heather said...

I absolutely love this quilt! I have been wanting to make a quilt for my duaghter and would love to make something like this. Is there any way you could send me directions on how to make it? Thanks! (my email is in my profile)

Laurel H. said...

Wow; I've never seen a Disappearing Nine Patch with this layout, or should I say, this use of white fabric (which makes it look like white sashing). I had to do a double take; the white causes it NOT to look like a Disappearing Nine Patch, you know? I like the traditional one, but I really really like yours. Beautiful!

~Patch said...

I as well like this layout for the D9P. I like using black as well!
Thanks for posting this and letting us see a different look for a now familiar pattern we all love! And how easy!!!
Marcia
a/k/a ~Patch

~Patch said...

I as well like this layout for the D9P. I like using black as well!
Thanks for posting this and letting us see a different look for a now familiar pattern we all love! And how easy!!!
Marcia
a/k/a ~Patch

~Patch said...

I as well like this layout for the D9P. I like using black as well!
Thanks for posting this and letting us see a different look for a now familiar pattern we all love! And how easy!!!
Marcia
a/k/a ~Patch

Maaike said...

Very well done Melissa! I found this quilt on Pinterest today and it is very pretty; I love the lay out of the blocks as well as the quilting in leave-shapes.

Have a great Sunday!
Love, Maaike

Angie said...

Hi Melissa,
I am a new quilter and have been promising my lovely daughter (now 31 yrs old) a baby clothes quilt since grade school! She found this page and wants this quilt! Will you please share the size of the different blocks of fabric? Also the actual measurements of the quilt when finished?? Thanks so much!!