Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Aw, Shucks

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Well, I had that spiffy little blue cabled cardigan for Anne completed only to find it didn't fit. At all. So, rip rip rip. I was so mad yesterday when I had finished and it was, well, funky, that I couldn't bear to rip it out then (I had even woven in the ends and grafted under the arms!). I had to put it in a drawer so I couldn't even see it until I cooled down, that's how ticked I was. But today is a new day and pulling apart the sweater was actually fun. I have a ball winder, but no swift. No swift? No problem! The computer chair was perfect, and all too amusing to spin around and around. No wonder my boy likes doing it until I'm driven mad.

The yarn has soaked and is drying with weights to get all the kinks out. I love how it looks like Ramen noodles when you pull it out, but I won't knit it back up like that. I'll wind it up tomorrow and try another pattern. Something simple, with a lot of stockinette - I could never work on the sweater long enough because my attention had to be else where, so something I can pick up and work half a round or row and put down without losing my place will be more practical and industrious.

trekking xxl 126
lang jawoll 67

I am holding off on my sock knitting until next week for the start of Summer of Socks 2007. I was ready to dive into the Trekking #126 I've been eagerly waiting to work with - it's like Brach's coconut candies - especially after last night's fiasco. I can wait. I can. Really. Ok, maybe I can't wait but most likely I'll be too busy with work and baby to even pull it out of my stash until next week! I've seen several lovely versions of the coconut candies socks, and I most like the chocolate brown heels and toes, which I have a skein of Lang Jawoll 67 for. For more Neapolitan socks, check out
these, this one, another here, the brown heeled pair here, and one more example here. I guess this yarn color was discontinued but by the power of knitting bloggers and plenty of readers who loved what they saw and clamored for more, Trekking is making #126 again. I bought mine just before it was more widely distributed again, but I paid the list price and not what some people pay for Alice Starmore books.

A week from today and my son is done with 2nd grade. The next week the kids and I are off to Michigan. My parents are in Holland (MI) and that is where I grew up and spent 20 some years, and my son spent his first 4 years. This will be Anne's first visit there outside the womb. I was there twice while I was pregnant with her.

Until then, it's school as usual for my boy, work as usual for my husband, and housework as usual for me. We eat dinner together, then I usually take Jonah and Anne to the pool, then we end the night with stories. Martin and I take turns reading and even the cats and baby sit to listen. We had been going through Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series, though we got stuck on We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea where the plot kind of plodded along and it was too painful for all to force even half a chapter a night. We are now reading the first of the Harry Potter series, and that has definitely grabbed the boy's attention back.

1 comment:

Iris said...

Love the computer chair swift! Ingenious.
What are you waiting for? Cast on that Trekking #126! Wait. Who am I to talk? The second ball I recently picked up is slated, I think, to be hoarded until the eventual day that my first pair wears holes. That could be a matter of years.
I enjoy hearing about your reading routine. I've been curious about what other people do. We switch off nights reading individually with each of the boys and occasionally one of us will take a break and the other will read to both of them.
I've been reading The Little House series to R and, since we recently finished the last one, started up with the Swallows and Amazons series. C has been, on alternate nights reading the HP books with him.
On my nights with E recently I've been reading the Wizard of Oz and next up might Alice in Wonderland.
Some nights I'm exhausted and cranky and don't feel like reading, shortening the reading time to only a chapter or one short picture book, but I can't imagine the day when we won't be doing this anymore.