Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Java Sleeves, the Fram, and Squirrels

I had doubts about the fit of the Magknits Java Sleeve on a grande sized drink after tinkering with the pattern, but they fit wonderfully. Three sleeves in the Racy yarn done and one in Silky Wool. Two more in the Silky Wool left to go in some yet to be determined pattern. My good friend Rachel gifted me with the two hanks of SW three years ago(!) and when I say I'm not afraid to let my stash sit while I wait for inspiration, you'd better believe I can wait until long after the cows have come home. Those cows are probably dead now.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The Squirrel and Oak mittens are addicting. They are even enjoyable after having to rip back to fix tension issues and re-knit, or having to knit back half a round after forgetting to carry along the other strand (I was thinking of rabbit fur mittens, the Arctic, and the Fram after reading out of our current evening book Winter Holiday by Arthur Ransome).

I'm finding that even with the right gauge they would have been a bit snug, though the pattern does say for woman's small/medium hand. I consider my hands small/medium, but I like to have a bit of room in a colorwork mitten like this. I am now knitting them very loosely, a lesson in patience. Still, I am getting close to 6 sts/in, probably 5.75 to 5.5 sts/in but it's enough to give me a bit more wiggle room.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm playing with the pattern a bit (oh, as usual) and adding a herringbone cuff. I've left the darker yarn as the K's in the 1x1 rib then flipped the main and contrast colors for the rest of the mitten. The squirrel and oak leaf will be light against a dark background.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The java sleeves look great. I'll bet they'll be appreciated.
I love the mittens. They are coming along perfectly. The braided edging is particularly nice.