Monday, April 16, 2007

Our Weekend

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The birds have come back and Jonah is eager to spot any new robins, mockingbirds, and mourning doves. The birds and squirrels will come right up to our patio door and taunt the cats and we like having them so close to watch and study.






Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Things are finally greening up, a welcome change. I love winter very much, but come the end of March, I am ready for spring. I just got these shots before the Nor'Easter blew in. We didn't get as much rain as New York and New England, but enough to make a cozy indoor weekend out of it (besides the soggy trip hauling groceries home). I've made much progress on the Retro Rib sock, only a few more repeats before the cuff.






Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Speaking of that sock, there it is peeking out of the knitting basket while I break for pie and coffee. With all the rain, we needed an apple pie. And some songs to calm the baby to sleep, such as An Acre of Land and Spanish Ladies. There are many versions of both songs, but here are the ones I know:

"My father left me an acre of land
(Ivy! Sing Ivery!)
My father left me an acre of land
(And a bunch of green holly and ivery)
I ploughed it with a ram's horn
I sowed it with a thimble
I harrowed it with a bramble bush
I reaped it with a penknife
I sent it home in a walnut shell
I threshed it with my needle and thread
I winnowed it with a handkerchief
I sent it to mill with a team of great rats
The carter brought a curly whip
The whip did pop and the wagon did stop"



"Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish Ladies,
Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain;
For we've received orders for to sail for ol' England,
But we hope in a short time to see you again.

We will rant and we'll roar like true British sailors,
We'll rant and we'll roar all on the salt sea.
Until we strike soundings in the channel of old England;
From Ushant to Scilly is thirty five leagues."


Or, the New England version:

"Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish Ladies,
Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain;
And let us be jolly and drown melancholy
And hope in a short time we'll see you again.

We'll rant and we'll roar like New Bedford whalers
We'll rant and we'll roar on deck and below
Until we spy the New Bedford light
When straight down the Channel to anchor we'll go."

No comments: