Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Knitting? Where?


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm getting some knitting time in, not much, but what little I manage to sneak in is a great break from the never ending piles of dishes and laundry. It seems that's all I do these days, and nursing a 4 & 1/2 month old. She started her first solid food yesterday, I was hoping to hold it off another month but lately she's nursing all the time and not satisfied. She ate the whole bowl of cereal - maybe 2 tbsp - and had the hang of spoon feeding by the end of it, and was finally full and satisfied for a few hours. Phew!

I try to think of anything worthwhile, amusing, or witty to share but right now there just isn't anything outside of baby stuff and housework, being very tired and sometimes forgetting to brush my teeth. I know I shouldn't worry if the bed doesn't get made or if vacuuming gets put off another day, but it bothers me. I'd like to get more done, not be tired, and have half an hour a day to knit. But I don't, so I'm a little more crabby these days even if I try not to sweat it.

I don't have gorgeous photos of the lovely meals I've lovingly made for my family, it's getting hot and I don't like cooking much in the summer. I tried a recipe for Southwestern corn and shrimp cold soup from the latest issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine, but it wasn't for our family's tastes. It was "interesting" and I'll leave it at that. I'm trying to gather more vegetarian recipes, seasonal and summer (read: little or no stove/oven time) recipes, anything that won't take much time to prepare. I love cooking and baking when it's cold out, but these Virginia summers are more than this northerner can bear. Tonight I'll make a pasta salad, I'm just feeling rather uninspired and too tired for anything else.

My son turned 8, it seems like 8 going on 14. Where did all the time go? He isn't my Wee One anymore, he'd probably be mortified by that title now. Yeah, he's begun to have second thoughts that I'm really a cool mom. I'm already a mean mom for things like bedtime and teeth brushing, but I've been able to hang on to "cool mom" for quite a few years. Soon there will be eye rolling and instructions to walk at least 6 feet behind him out in public.

All in all, I'm ok. Tired, but ok. It's not quite spring and not quite summer, we're anxious for more carefree days. In a few short weeks the kids and I will fly back to west Michigan for a three week trip to be with my parents at my childhood home. I look forward to it as much as they (Jonah and my parents) do. We will swim in the lake and roast marshmallows over campfires, swing much too high on the poor backyard swing set. We'll go to the farmer's market for peaches and corn and run into everyone I knew from growing up. It will be good to get back for a while.

4 comments:

JennyDillyAnna said...

Cute sweater, cute kid, and Happy B-day!

I've just started making Cordelia's baby food this weekend and she's loving it. Enjoy your eats!

NH Knitting Mama said...

Aw, I know it can be frustrating sometimes to be pulled in many directions, and all you want is a clean house for 5 minutes! But, seeing as its so hard to keep the house clean when you have little ones, take the time to knit!

Surviving said...

With 3 boys I understand how you are feeling. I hope you all have fun on your trip and you get some much needed rest.

Cass said...

BOO!
:)