Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A place I called home

If at first you don't secede ...

When I lived in Seattle, I started out in a small Mother-in-Law-Cottage in the Interbay/Magnolia neighborhood. I spent a lot of time just across the street (and over a bridge) in Ballard, even after I moved to the north end of the city. In my mind, I still go to the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks about once a week as I did when I lived there. Ballard felt like home in that big city when I was far away from west Michigan. Every so often this little place comes up and I know I won't be back for a long time.

2 comments:

Jerri said...

Melissa
I just came across your blog and really like it. Knitting is my passion.....The winters are very long and cold here in Michigan...
Visit me sometime at jerripinkpassion.blogspot.com

Iris said...

In the 7 days we were back in Seattle, I found myself in Ballard no less than THREE times: once thrifting at the Value Village, again with my dad out at Shilshole where he keeps his boat, and again for the Sunday farmer's market and a trip to the locks.
I haven't been to the Locks since I was a teenager and had forgotten how much fun it is there. I mistakenly thought we'd spend maybe a half an hour there. HA! Boy, was I wrong!
Last time I lived in Seattle...let's see...1993?...I lived near the base of Queen Anne hill near the Fremont Bridge and worked at the Starbucks on Market Street in Ballard. I can't tell you how many times I found myself waiting while boats passed through that part of the canal. Good thing there was always knitting in my car even back then!
The Locks are always somewhere on my "to do list" for Seattle but we never seem to get there. Thanks for the boost in that direction.